Eating a heart-healthy diet is one of the best choices that your elderly parent can make to protect their body and help them to reduce the risk that they will suffer from a wide variety of health challenges, including cardiovascular disease, coronary heart disease, stroke, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and heart attack. If your aging parent is not accustomed to this type of diet, however, the changes can seem intimidating. As their family caregiver, you can make this transition easier for your loved one, helping them to make better choices and live a healthier lifestyle as they age in place.
Use these tips to help your parent make heart-healthy diet changes:
• Start small. Rather than just “diving in” to a completely different diet, work with your parent to make small, gradual changes to their diet that will help to make this change less intimidating. Change just a few meals a week or try a couple of swaps so that your parent can see that this does not have to be such a dramatic change.
• Stick to favorites. Just because your parent is trying to eat a heart-healthier diet does not mean that they cannot continue to enjoy many of their favorite flavors and foods. Work with them to find healthier versions of these foods using heart-healthier ingredients, smaller portions, and healthier cooking techniques. Researching recipes and cookbooks make it easy for the two of you to find meals and snacks to try.
• Get creative. Try exploring new flavors and foods together. Opening up their culinary horizons can help them to find new favorites and experience foods that are satisfying and delicious, but also good for their heart. Try choosing a new ethnicity or country each week and finding recipes to try. This is not only a great way to find new foods, but also to stimulate their mind.
Starting elderly care for your aging parent can be one of the best decisions that you can make for your aging parent throughout the course of your caregiver journey with them. An elderly home care services provider can be with your parent on a fully customized schedule to ensure that they get all of the care, assistance, and support that they need to handle their individual needs, challenges, and limitations.
This helps your parent to live a life that is happy, healthy, safe, and comfortable, and to pursue as much independence, activity, and fulfillment as possible as they age in place. When it comes to dealing with health challenges, this elderly care provider can help your parent to understand the guidance and instructions that their doctor gives to them, and support good lifestyle choices. This includes giving them valuable reminders to keep them compliant with their prescriptions and instructions so that they can manage their condition in the way that is best for them and that will give them the most benefit.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Elderly Care Services in Lexington NC, please contact the caring staff at Tender Hearted Home Care today. (704) 612-4132.
I have enjoyed volunteering my time as the President of the Rowan County Home School Association, assisting with the Parkinson’s Support Group, Walk to End Alzheimer’s, Pregnancy Support Center, MOPS International, Capstone Recovery Center, Kairos Outside, Celebrate Recovery, various church committees and going on a mission trip to Moldova. I am a member of the Rowan County Council on Aging, Meals on Wheels board member, REACH of Rowan County, HIPSS of Davidson County, Second Tuesday Business Group and several Christian Business Life Groups.
I am passionate about serving others and providing the most compassionate care possible, as I would want for my own family. I love relaxing with my husband, Peter, and my two dogs, Yoyo and Terra Cotta.
Latest posts by Renee Gray (see all)
- Are You Communicating as Effectively as Possible with Your Aging Adult? - February 20, 2018
- How Can You Avoid Being Overwhelmed as a New Family Caregiver? - February 13, 2018
- Is Constipation Slowing Your Senior Down? - February 7, 2018